Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir"):
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:34:54AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Stop being lazy and be a friendly upstream to
> > non-Debian downstreams.
>
> Charles is not upstream itself - he just gave an advise to upstream to
> diverge from what we usually propose and I wanted to check whether our
> advise remains valid and I might have missed something.

Neil Williams seems to think that there is never a situation where it
is better (or at least no worse) for upstream to include the debian/
directory.  I disagree with that.

While the presence of debian/ in upstream as usually not a good idea,
I think there are situations where it's useful and helpful.

I don't think this is something we need a project-wide agreement
about, either.  This is surely something for the maintainer and the
upstream to negotiate about.

Ian.