volume control not working:debian 6.0.4

Hi,
   I have ported Debian for my target x86 board,and facing some problem in volume-control
  when i click on it's icon I am getting error:
 "The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu."

although if i play any media file through rythmbox  music player or movie player it plays audio...
please help me

also,to access audio i need to add user in audio group (/etc/group).

Regards.