Re: Help me DTRT with upstream naming

On 2012-09-07 16:40:07 -0700 (-0700), Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> The problem is that the software is called wallet, both the
> software itself and the primary client binary that users invoke.
> [...] I don't think there's another UNIX/Linux binary of that
> name.  But, of course, it's still not a very unique name. [...]
> (see the recent node discussion), but on the other hand it's going
> to be a big pain for me and for users
[...]

Frequently invoked console/text utilities have a good excuse for
taking up short, easily typed and easily remembered words in the
executable path namespace. That strikes me as the real reason to
avoid having programs commonly launched from a GUI icon of some sort
polluting that namespace--they aren't frequently called from the
CLI.

If your users are used to entering "wallet blah" and there's no
wallet command in another package already, I'd be in favor of
leaving it as is. Spending most of my life in a CLI, I'm not at all
fond of typing one mile-long-hyphenated-command-name after another.
If you really want to go for something more unique and less of a
common word, then at least go shorter (wlit?).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);