Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On 08/31/2012 11:52 PM, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> I guess I can understand that you want your /usr to be resizeable

Not only this. I want it on a RAID10 or RAID5 which goes faster than
my / that is hosted in a slower RAID1.

> but
> really, life is so much simpler when you just go ahead and create a 12
> GB root filesystem (and no separate /usr) and be done with it.

Maybe more simple, but then I will loose the advantages that I
already explained. And more importantly: I don't care simple.

> The
> days have long passed when that 10 or 11 GB of wasted space was
> anything to worry about.

This has nothing to do with the amount of space.
But if you want to go on that ground...

Today, you say 10GB. What about in 5 years? Can
you easily predict what will be my needs? I don't.

> I always thought reads were pretty harmless and it's mostly writes you
> have to worry about (both for bugs in the OS FS, and for the physical
> media).  And both / and /usr should have very few writes,
> percentage-wise.

It depends what you do, I'd say. But yes of course, you'd have very few,
and even maybe zero once the system is setup, writes on /usr. But if
your computer has a lot of activities taking a lot of RAM, chances are
that stuff will be kicked out of the cache and get read again.

> I used to think keeping / fully self-contained was useful.  But it is a
> non-zero amount of effort, and I'm becoming convinced that these days,
> the separate /usr is going the way of the shared /usr/share.
>
> Peter

Isn't it because you are just becoming a bit lazy? :)

You could also have tell me to use just one single partition, and
that having a separate /tmp, /var and so on totally useless too.
We could argue as well during huge threads about it. :)

Thomas