Re: [proposal] use xz compression for Debian package by default

Le mercredi, 29 août 2012 16.01:43, Jon Dowland a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:56:47PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Before wondering whether PNG files should have an additional
> > compression level, is there any reason why a better PNG compression
> > isn't used in the first place? For instance, "optipng -o9" tries
> > various parameters and keeps the best one.
>
> So recompress upstream PNGs and suffix +dfsg to the source version?

No. Such changes belong to the binary package building.

>           Another approach could be to inject optipng into the build
> process and treat the outputs like compiler output (packed into binary
> packages, thrown away on clean), but then repeated builds could be
> CPU-expensive.

That's of course the right place to do it.

We are building a binary distribution which main characteristic is to have the
packages built _rarely_. As such, a useful but CPU-expensive operation is
always worth it. And if the package building infrastructure comes in your way
by enforcing unneeded repeated builds, then the problem resides in the package
building infrastructure. GNU make²'s it easy to avoid reconstructing files,
UseThat™ !

OdyX