Re: Have NetworkManager disabled by default when...

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Why are people not a aware of that update-rc.d interface? Is this a
> general documentation problem?

| windlord:~> update-rc.d
| update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
| update-rc.d: error: not enough arguments
| usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
|        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | SS KK]
|        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
|        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> disable|enable [S|2|3|4|5]
|                 -n: not really
|                 -f: force
|
| The disable|enable API is not stable and might change in the future.

The last line may be scaring people away unnecessarily.

It would also be useful if this paragraph in the update-rc.d man page:

       A common system administration error is to delete the links with
       the thought that this will "disable" the service, i.e., that this
       will prevent the service from being started.  However, if all links
       have been deleted then the next time the package is upgraded, the
       package's postinst script will run update-rc.d again and this will
       reinstall links at their factory default locations.  The correct
       way to disable services is to configure the service as stopped in
       all runlevels in which it is started by default.  In the System V
       init system this means renaming the service's symbolic links from S
       to K.

actually mentioned disable, although I know it is mentioned later in the
man page.