Re: duplicates in the archive

+++ Neil Williams [2012-06-24 18:51 +0100]:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:31:12 +0200
> Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Dropping the bug CC.
>
> > On 24.06.2012 19:15, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > This bug is *not* useful to anyone. Please close it and find an
> > > RC bug to close instead.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this could be expressed in another tone. Especially
> > since we welcome everyone (you know) and we have _no_ written rule what
> > belongs into Debian and what not, and nobody who decides on that beyond
> > legal issues.
>
> This isn't about welcoming people, this is about keeping pointless
> vanity packages out of the archive.

Arno's point was that if you were clever you could do both.

It's possible to tell someone that packaing this particular thing is a
bad idea without being rude and superiour. If one does that they might
go away with the impression that Debian is a civilised place where
they'd like to help out, rather than a place full of people who are
usually right but arrogant with it.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/