Re: [RFC] Add upstream VCS info to control file

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> (14/06/2012):
> 1/ […] 2/ […]
> 3/ How to achieve it
> |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> |To acheive this, we would need something like this:
>
> ||Vcs-Git-Debian-Branch-Name: debian/unstable
> ||Vcs-Git: |git://anonscm.debian.org/openstack/nova.git
> |Vcs-Git-Upstream: |https://github.com/openstack/nova.git
>
> In case Vcs-Git-Upstream wasn't filled, then |debian-get-git-package
> would do the guess that the master branch is also in the Vcs-Git.

Bloating control is probably a no-no (might be doable if some fields
don't appear in the source/binary packages though).

Anyway, here's what I've been doing for our 150+ X packages:

$ cat xserver-xorg-video-ati.git/debian/watch
#git=git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
version=3
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/ xf86-video-ati-(.*)\.tar\.gz

debcheckout gives you a debian-unstable branch by default. Then calling
the tiny xsf-remote-add-upstream script gets the watch file parsed, and
the upstream branch added:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xsf-tools.git;a=blob;f=xsf-remote-add-upstream

> 4/ Please comment
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> I don't mind if there's another solution than 3/, but I really would
> love if we could achieve 2/. If using new debian/control fields isn't
> a good idea, please explain why and what's the alternative. I though
> that maybe, we could use debian/gbp.conf to do this. If the debian
> branch is made the default one in Alioth, and if the gbp.conf tells
> where to fetch upstream master branch, it seems doable.
>
> Also, I've noticed that apt-cache show doesn't display the Vcs fields.
> What's the way on the command line, so we could write such a
> script that would clone the repo?

Because you want “apt-cache showsrc”, which is for source packages.
debcheckout does the right thing (if you have deb-src lines).

Mraw,
KiBi.