Lets (eventually) find a good solution for /tmp

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Adam Borowski wrote:
> This is not an insurmountable problem: /tmp might use some form of
> overlay that uses tmpfs for regular use and starts shunting to some
> area other than swap once it sees it is being used for large files.
> Or alternatively, there could possibly be a dynamic swap file on /
> earmarked for tmpfs pages only (not implemented yet?). Or... Too
> bad, any of these solutions would need a lot of testing, something
> for which there simply isn't time before wheezy.

Either an overlay or swap file on / (or some other large disk) is
really the direction that we should be going to for /tmp. That way we
can support fast tiny files and avoid writing to anything for SSDs,
but still support storing files as large as the underlying filesystem
can support. Now someone just has to write it and get it tested.

Don Armstrong

--
Tell me something interesting about yourself.
Lie if you have to.