Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On 05/27/2012 04:32 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> In an ideal world, in which we could throw out all of UNIX history and
> make up our own rules, 1 (alone) would be /var/tmp, 2 would be some new
> path (/run/tmp or something), and 3 would be /tmp.  But we don't live in
> the world where it's likely we can convince everything to move to some new
> /run/tmp location or the like.

So, RedHat can propose the move from /var/run to /run and everyone is
moving to it, but Debian can't advocate for improvements and propose
a /run/tmp using tmpfs?!?

Come on, WE CAN! Let's create a /run/tmp *now*, it wont cost us much,
then later applications can slowly use it if they want. Worst case:
not a lot of app uses it, and the /run/tmp tmpfs isn't used much,
which isn't a problem. Best case: everyone that needs a fast space
has it and switches to it, and everyone is happy.

Thomas