Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Adam Borowski wrote:
> Could you please mention which ones do not?  And if so, how are they
> relevant/are they fixable?

As one of the maintainers of debootstrap, I am perhaps more aware than
some how broadly it's used. Ok..

They use it on Android (41,600 hits including http://evilzone.org/android/debian-on-android/)
They use it on Nokia (96,600 hits)
They use it on Nook (14,000 hits)
They use it on headless old Red Hat systems in a datacenter somewhere
They use it on Debian oldstable systems, where xz-utils is not even packaged.
They use it on absolutely modern peices of unusual kit that ship with some
crufty busybox binary (no source naturally) from far up the supplier
chain, that was built well before xz support entered busybox in 2010.

> Special-casing base packages would be a lot of complexity, let's avoid that
> if possible -- but still preferred to letting gzip stay.

Base packages can be identified at build time by their priority.
if ($priority ne 'important' && $priority ne 'required') {
}

Although I do think that rebuilding the entire archive at this point in
the release process is probably going to result in a lot of ..
complexity. For one, d-i relies on being able to unpack firmware .debs
The code that does this doesn't support data.tar.xz. There are probably
plenty more problems where that came from.

--
see shy jo