Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:59:11PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:42:46, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Many arm systems have 64 mb of ram or less.
>
> The NSLU2 boxes that were common to install a port of Debian onto are one such
> example, although I'm not sure how realistic a Debian install would be on them
> today.  [These were discontinued in 2008.]  Specs: 32 MB RAM, somewhere
> between 8 MB and 16 MB of onboard Flash.

Which is not relevant here as you can't use d-i on them:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

d-i is not currently capable of completing with 64MB RAM (on i386, at least)
which is a regression -- but once that's fixed, I see no reason why xz
_decompression_ would hurt it in any way.  xz needs 10MB above gzip, but
regular debs are never decompressed concurrently with some memory-hungry
operation (as opposed to udebs).

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon