Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/03/12 02:16, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 02.05.2012 19:05, Martin Wuertele wrote:
>> I don't think this is a better example. Actually I think this is an
>> example where udev/mdev could launch/stop bluetoothd.
> Long running daemons should *not* be started by udev. udev is *not* a
> service manager.
> What udev should do is signal the init system that the device is
> available and the init system will start and manage the daemon. That's
> what systemd and upstart do.

So, this whole sub-thread boils down to this:

"Our current init scripts don't handle dependencies properly"

Once you fix that you can just let udev trigger /etc/init.d/bluetooth
start, and that will do all the needed magic properly.

... and OpenRC has been doing that for such a long time that I find it
hard to understand that people are still not using it ;)

I'm still slightly confused what people mean with "event based", I think
there are at least three similar, but distinct definitions going around.
A good part of that is already handled by the device manager, and the
rest appears to be user actions - if someone can find me a good example
of an event that doesn't fit into these categories I might understand
why from my point of view people seem to be violently agreeing so hard.

Thanks,

Patrick