Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:05:55PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Init is about the boot of the computer, right? Who is stupid enough to
> put in a usb stick _during_ the boot? We need to separate boot from
> adding/removing peripheral devices!

I've no idea why that would be stupid.

If I were booting a computer and intended to use some USB peripherals, I
may very well do the plugging prior to boot finishing. Whilst I go off and
make a cup of tea, because the boot STILL takes too long.

What sounds stupid to me is having a brittle system that can actually be
disrupted by plugging in a USB stick whilst it's booting!

Note that I don't necessarily need the hotplugged USB stick to be
available *to the system* during boot - perhaps the plumbing that mounts
it hasn't been started up yet. (And hopefully that GDM3 bug that mounted
disks as the Debian-gdm3 has gone now.)