Re: On init in Debian

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 23:02 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 22 mars 2012 à 16:47 +0100, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> > A few people that would have to be expert in all the areas that systemd
> > implements?  There are a lot of knobs in the Debian sysv initscripts,
> > which are there for a reason that has been determined by experts of
> > the corresponding area during the past couple of decades. And now we'd
> > replace that with just one software which hasn't been contributed to by
> > all the experts that know what knobs are needed?
>
> Yeah, sure. We can keep a pile of buggy software with hundreds of hacks
> working around the bugs, giving jobs to ourselves, call ourselves
> experts while still increasing the complexity of the system in order to
> remain being the ones with expertise.

Speaking about buggy software: Today the libpcre3 update broke a lot of
functions on my computer, including start of gdm3. And since I'm using
the network manager for ethernet (some stuff does not work without it),
it was not started while in the console, i.e. no network connection.
Trying to edit /etc/network/interfaces (yes I knew which file to edit)
and uncomment the static IP address setting with emacs it failed too.
Fortunately nano worked, an I could do the changes to enable ethernet to
upgrade the buggy libpcre3 by the NMUed one. This is a true story (maybe
some of you have been hit by this bug too), and it tells the if you are
not in X windows mode no network.

Please, don't make things unbearably complicated in case something
breaks!!! Network *should* work also in console mode... Looking forward
to the which nasty bugs in the future are caused by systemd/upstart!

This "progress" more and more looks like what happened to the abilities
of repairing your own car: How many is able to do that today compared to
some years ago? Now you have to call the emergency service to transfer
it to the "experts" in the garage for computer check and repair.
Progress is not always for the benefit of the users, but for the
developers!?