Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> writes:

> There are alternatives to systemd and upstart available: runit and GNU
> DMD ("Daemon managing Daemons") as well as links to other OS init
> systems at http://smarden.org/runit/. The DMD looks a little
> unmaintained though, latest release in 2003, but at least this is a GNU
> project...

When people are complaining about Canonical's contributor licensing
agreement, saying that something is appealing because it's a GNU project
is kind of amusing.  :)  I, for one, have even more of a problem
contributing to FSF projects that require copyright assignment than I
would contributing to upstart.

I haven't looked at DMD, but runit does not do most of the useful things
that upstart and systemd do.  It handles starting and restarting daemons,
yes, but it doesn't cope well with daemons that fork and don't have a flag
to turn that off (yes, that's a bug, but we don't necessarily want to
solve that bug everywhere), and it doesn't handle all of the other issues
around system startup and ordering for which we really want something
event-driven.