Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 07:24:20AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Tzafrir Cohen
>
> > In sysv init scripts the daemon forks into the background. In upstrart
> > and systemd it doesn't have to (or shouldn't). (not) forking requires a
> > different command-line argument, normally. This leads to odd beasts such
> > as safe_mysqld.
>
> You can just use the --background switch to start-stop-daemon with
> sysvinit scripts.

It's still a different command. And anyway, very often the daemon itself
needs to handle the PID files, which means that I can't use that.

But more importantly, start-stop-daemon only starts and stops the daemon
once. It's not a daemon monitor. Would there be any objection if I
replaced init.d scripts in some of my packages with runit configs (as
does the git daemon)?

tzafrir@debian.org    |                    | friend