Problems converting a library to Multi-Arch

Hello,

I am the maintainer of the packages z80ex and kcemu in Debian.

I have been working on converting the package z80ex (a library) to Multi-Arch. I have
so far followed the guide in [1] to make the package ready for Multi-Arch and I have
succeeded in creating a Multi-Arch version. When I install the package, all the
shared library files now go into /usr/lib/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}.

Now, I have checked whether the -dev version of z80ex still works and turns out,
it doesn't. When trying to build kcemu, which depends on z80ex, the configure
script of kcemu doesn't find the library anymore:

checking for z80ex_create in -lz80ex... no
configure: error:
***
*** Can not find required library z80ex.
***

I'm a bit unsure how to tackle this problem, but I assume I need another -L
or similar to have configure also look into  /usr/lib/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}
instead of just /usr/lib.

Can anyone point me into the right direction on how to solve this? The git
repository containing the Debian package source of z80ex can be fetched
at [2]. The repository for kcemu is located at [3].

Bonus question: Does anyone know how to tell git-buildpackage to include
the orig tarball during a build? I cannot seem to find a way to pass the
option -sa to dpkg-genchanges.

Thanks,

Adrian

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation
[2] git://minidisc.dyndns.org/z80ex-debian.git
[3] git://minidisc.dyndns.org/kcemu-debian.git