Re: Debian 5.0 support for VMware ESX 3.5/4.0/ESXi 4.1

On Wed, February 15, 2012 16:40, Piotrek P wrote:
> Dear All,
> Please be aware that VMware ESX 3.5 is NOT supporting any of Debian as
> Guest OS.
> Please be aware that VMware ESXi 4.1 IS supporting Debian 4.0, 5.0 as
> Guest OS.
> Please be aware that VMware ESX 5.0 IS supporting Debian 4.0, 5.0, 6.0
> as Guest OS.

Professionally I run many dozens of Debian 5.0 and 6.0 guests on both ESX4
and ESXi4. VMware does indeed have a list of predefined OS'es when
creating a new virtual machine, where you can select only 4.0 and 5.0. For
6.0, just select 5.0 and this works just aswell.

We use paravirtualised SCSI (pvscsi) and VMX3 network drivers without
problems.

> I would like to ask:
> - What does it means for users of Debian 5.0 on ESXi 4.1 if support of
> Debian 5.0 will end?

My answer is that it means that you can just upgrade to 6.0 and that it
works flawlessly. Be sure to use the vmware tools or the Debian shipped
open-vm-tools for best results.

Cheers,
Thijs