Re: Use of the first person in messages from the computer

Wouter Verhelst writes ("Re: Use of the first person in messages from the computer"):
> A computer cannot refer to itself, because it does not have a self.

I'm sorry, but that is completely wrong.

 "README"
 "drink me"
 "<someone> me facit"

I'm sure others can come up with many other examples, ancient and
modern.

I web searched for "inanimate object first person" and it seems that a
common task set in writing classes is to write an essay or story in
the first person from the point of view of an inanimate object.

Or are we going to rename all our READMEs READTHISFILE ?

Ian.