Re: Comments on introducing a new Essential package: base-init?

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:03:27PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> An alternative would be for an existing Essential package such as
> base-files to provide the Depends, which would save the need for
> a separate base-init package.  Is there any reason this would be
> undesirable?  (I note that it currently has no depends other than
> a pre-depends on awk.)

I think it would be better to avoid adding dependencies to base-files if
possible.  base-files is one of the "super-Essential" packages with
special-case handling in debootstrap to install it very early indeed,
unpacked and configured while even dpkg has still only been extracted;
while that installation is done with --force-depends, I still think it
would be worth keeping its dependency tree as trivial as possible.