Re: Taking over conffiles from other packages while cleaning up properly [Re: Problems detected: package initscripts left obsolete init.d script behind]

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.
> >> error: Problems detected: package initscripts left obsolete init.d script
> >> behind, package initscripts left obsolete init.d script behind, package
> >> initscripts left obsolete init.d script behind
> >>
> >>  /etc/init.d/stop-bootlogd 4544c7e1a2d0c713d29424d02faad237 obsolete
> >>  /etc/init.d/stop-bootlogd-single 648d8624e708151500c5e299a6005afe obsolete
> >>  /etc/init.d/bootlogd 267ceea04f703171e6c62f506fda3305 obsolete
> >>
> >> How can I fix this issue and convert to dependency based boot?
> >
> > Delete the above three files and try again.  bootlogd was moved into
> > a separate package recently.
>
> As bootlogd has been split off from sysvinit-utils into a separate
> package, I'm wondering if there is a way how bootlogd can take over the
> conffiles

For this part, there's nothing to do AFAIK (except adding a Replaces, just
in case).

> while at the same time sysvinit-utils can safely clean up the
> conffiles in case bootlogd is not installed (sysvinit-utils doesn't have
> a dependency on bootlogd, so it is actually rather likely that bootlogd
> won't be installed).

What's difficult in implementing this?

You can't really use dpkg-maintscript-helper conditionnaly because the
installation state of bootlogd might change between preinst and postinst
but you could at least remove the (unmodified) files in postinst if you see that
bootlogd is not at least unpacked (usage of dpkg-query in maintainer
scripts is safe).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer