Re: Do symbols make sense for C++

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> How many upstream are there that try to achieve ABI equivalence?
> Usually people only try to achieve ABI compability, i.e. programs
> compiled against the old version will work with the new one, but there
> is no garantee that programs compiled against the new version also work
> with the new one.

I'm not sure.  I'm not even sure that the libraries I'm looking at really
do try to do this, although that's the impression that I've gotten.
Usually a bug-fix-only policy will do this (although not necessarily).

> (And in that case the maintainer has to manually increase the versions
> in the symbols file, just as they needed to increment the shlibs file
> before (unless they used auto-updating by using dh_makeshlibs -V without
> any version anyway)).

Right, that's the conclusion I reached.  And it's easier to do that with
shlibs than symbols.