Re: Do symbols make sense for C++

On Do, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:26:15 (CET), Jérémy Lal wrote:

[...]

> About what i wonder (since i'm not c++ expert) if abi-compliance-checker
> is serious enough to be used to decide soname bumps ?
> http://www.upstream-tracker.org/

Thank you very much for pointing out this service. It surely is very
useful for both package maintainers as well as upstreams.

I've analyzed the report for libav:
http://www.upstream-tracker.org/versions/libav.html and found the
results very interesting and enlightning. The results themselves seem
very detailed and accurate to me but I think their interpretations of
the results is too strong. For libav, most of the incompatible changes
are covered by API usage constraints which this automated service cannot
possibly be aware of.  This means that you have to carefully read all of
the report and use the findings with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Reinhard

--
Gruesse/greetings,