Re: RFC: Realtime system (audio) group

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:32:08AM +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> [background story: pro-audio applications run with POSIX realtime
> priorities to meet low-latency deadlines. We ship
> /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf in the jackd packages to grant rt
> privileges to the audio group]

Why does jackd not grant _itself_ RT priority? It can grant itself
CAP_SYS_NICE, which allows arbitrary mangling of priorities.

It could still limit the usage for users with the audio group and just
drop the capability of the user is not in this group.

Bastian

--
No one can guarantee the actions of another.
		-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown