Re: cross-build-essential

+++ Neil Williams [2012-01-19 13:02 +0000]:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:10:28 +0000
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>
> > I've thought for a long time that a package like build-essential for
> > cross-building would be a really good idea.
>
> +1
>
> It should probably depend on build-essential itself as a starting point.

I suppose so. You won't get far without that.

> It does need to remain just the essential packages though - is it
> actually much more than the relevant g++-$version-$triplet
> cross-compiler?

The current list for sbuild, is:
Ubuntu precise:
armel: dpkg-cross, g++-arm-linux-gnueabi, libc6-dev-armel-cross, pkg-config-arm-linux-gnueabi
armhf: dpkg-cross, g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf, libc6-dev-armhf-cross, pkg-config-arm-linux-gnueabihf
Debian Wheezy:
armel: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-arm-linux-gnueabi, linux-libc-dev-armel-cross
armhf: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-arm-linux-gnueabihf, linux-libc-dev-armhf-cross
mips: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-mips-linux-gnu,  linux-libc-dev-mips-cross
mipsel: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-mipsel-linux-gnu,  linux-libc-dev-mipsel-cross
powerpc: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-powerpc-linux-gnu,  linux-libc-dev-powerpc-cross
ia64: dpkg-cross, c++-compiler-ia64-linux-gnu,  linux-libc-dev-ia64-cross

dpkg-cross is there for the autotools/cmake cross-config support, not the cross-library-mangling
support

Debian doesn't yet have the pkg-config-<triplet> packages. That needs fixing too, along with
getting some cross-toolchains built

> The only issue is that cross-compilers don't always move to newer
> versions in line with native compilers. So it would actually be easier
> for $arch-crossbuild-essential to *not* be from the same source package
> as build-essential.

OK. Although it's just a text file/depends list. It can be maintained anywhere. It may be
problematic to have it in debian when the cross-compilers themselves are not there yet (only in
emdebian toolchain repo) - a package can't depend on things that don't exist.

> Feel free to add me to the uploaders list...

righty-ho

Wookey
http://wookware.org/