Re: Bug#654896: ITP: xul-ext-debianbuttons -- Buttons for querying Debian-related pages with Iceweasel/Firefox
Adam Borowski, 2012-01-07 13:02+0100:
> It appears to do exactly nothing a simple keyword can't do.
That is correct, but it does not mean it is not useful.
Assuming you put a bug number into the clipboard, for instance by
double-clicking it on some IRC channel, let us compare:
* in both case, you go to your browser;
* with a keyword:
- you search for the appropriate search plugin, install it and program
the keywork (only the first time),
- you type ^L to go to the address bar,
- you type “bts ”,
- you move your mouse to the address bar and middle-click,
- you type ↵;
* with a button:
- you search for the appropriate extension, install it and place the
buttons (only the first time),
- you move your mouse to it and left-click.
You might prefer the first way, but not everybody does, so these buttons
may still be useful for some people. Actually, they will for at least
one person, myself. :-)
By the way, the BTS button seems to have one nice feature: it works even
for texts such as “#4212”, whereas with a keywork it may be necessary to
remove the hash sign first.
: /` ) Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:firstname.lastname@example.org> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>
| `-' Debian Developer