Re: Providing a dummy web server package in Debian (Removing web server dependencies from web apps)

It seems to be that I wasn't the only one with the issue. Bug #627213
shows how messy things can be.

So, what about Debian providing a dummy package that would provide
httpd, so that it would solve the issue?

It'd be something like this:

Package: dummy-httpd
Provides: httpd, httpd-fastcgi, httpd-wsgi, httpd-scgi, httpd-ajp
real server
 In some setup, for some web apps, you don't want to install a web server.
 This package will provide a web server, so that when you install a web
 application, you wont be forced to also install a web server like Apache.
 .
 This is a meta package, aimed at experts who know what they are doing,
 and who wish not to install the provided default web server dependencies
 for web applications.

I don't think this would be an issue for anyone, and I wouldn't see any
argument against it (I'm sure someone in this list will though... :) ).
Your thoughts?

Thomas