Re: [Fwd: [ISC-Bugs #25979] What happened to the dhcp patch in ISC-Bugs #24697 (Debian Bug #616290)?]

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 06:08:48PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the patch in this thread, but most of the time that
> > I've seen PATH_MAX used in software, it's indicated a design flaw in an
> > interface: use of static buffers for file paths rather than adjusting to
> > arbitrary length of file names.  You can arguably "fix" it by defining
> > PATH_MAX to something arbitrary, but usually the better fix is to go back
> > and fix the incorrect choice of API to use a caller-provided buffer or to
> > do memory allocation instead.
>
> I tend to see upstreams defining their own PATH_MAX rather than
> calling pathconf.

Which is just as bad.

Here's the entire code for pathconf(_PC_PATH_MAX):

long int
__pathconf (const char *path, int name)
{
  switch (name)
    {

    [...]

    case _PC_PATH_MAX:
#ifdef  PATH_MAX
      return PATH_MAX;
#else
      return -1;
#endif

> Perhaps there needs to be a lintian warning about that.

It's easy to find uses of pathconf, finding PATH_MAX would be hard since it
tends to be heavily #ifdefed.  Still, any reference to either is most likely
a bug.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!