Re: Minified files and source code requirement

Le Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 07:08:14PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

> But with more liberal licenses, we should certainly accept that the
> minified files are their own sources much like we accept any other blob of
> data under a free license.

Hello Raphaël and everybody,

one of the problem with minified JavaScript libraries is that it is difficult
to know what they really do.  Are they really what the upstream author thinks
they are, or was he tricked in cut-and-pasting a fake version containing a
spyware ?

On the other hand, if the minified file you would like to distribute matches
exactly a minified file that has been distributed by Debian in the past, then
indeed, why not running that version ?  You are an experienced developer and I
trust you to understand, balance and negociate the costs and benefits on a
case-by-case basis.

For the compliance with DFSG – and this is the main message here – we could
reach it considering all the packages that are part of the same release, by
using the dpkg source format 3.0 (git), which would be an efficient way to
distribute past source versions and point at the preferred one at the same
time.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy