Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> == Propositions ==
>
> So in order to solve this smartly, I think there are basically 5
> possibilities:
>
> 1) "Forget about jimtcl, rely on existing tcl interpreters"
>
>    This is mostly "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy", "no
>    packaging of it, go on as is done currently; by relying on existing tcl
>    interpreters.
>    Pros: easy, straightforward,avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
>    Cons: does not solve the "desktop install needs tcl interpreter".

It also doesn't solve a second case we're trying to cover: the fact
that usb-modeswitch would be the only package in the boot path on
*Ubuntu* that would rely on Tcl. That's another reason why a compiled
language was chosen.

> 2) "Allow interpretation using separate jimtcl"

Sounds like a good idea to ship jimtcl separately anyway. That said,
the comments above apply again.

> 3) "Embed jimtcl using the internal copy"
[...]
> 4) "Embed jimtcl using a standalone package"
[...]
> 5) "Rewrite the usb-modeswitch-dispatcher in C"
[...]
>    For now, the upstream developer hasn't included this rewrite into the
>    upstream package (for his own set of reasons). My current strategy is to
>    avoid as much as possible to diverge from upstream, hence why it's not in
>    Debian's usb-modeswitch for now.

Yup, it's already out-of-sync, though I'll try to get this fixed in
the next two weeks. I've also sent another email to upstream about
including the "rewrite". The end goal would be to have a tarball that
provides both options: a tcl version and a C version of the
-dispatcher code. The version to use could be chosen at build time.

I'm obviously all for this option, but I agree it would be much better
if it was included in the tarball.

> For now and before the enlightenments of d-devel, I think that I would order
> the solutions as following:
>
>        2 1 4 5 3
>
> What's your opinion ?

5 2 1 4 3