Re: Periodic automake cleanup: removal of automake1.7

* Josh Triplett (josh@joshtriplett.org) wrote:
> Eric Dorland wrote:
> > * Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org) wrote:
> > > Shouldn't automake1.4 be first in the queue?
> >
> > We could do automake1.4. I hesitate because there may still be older
> > software out there that wants automake 1.4's particular set of
> > quirks. What do other people think?
>
> Why does automake 1.4 (from 1999) in particular have more software stuck
> on it?  I haven't managed to find any information about its quirks that
> explains why old software wants 1.4 in particular.

The versions after 1.4 were where backwards-incompatible changes
started showing up. As a very unscientific census using google code
search, there are about 36,800 Makefile.in's generated by automake 1.4
on the web, versus 113,000 generated by automake 1.6 and later.

Now clearly we don't need automake 1.4 for Debian's sake, but some
users might still be interested in it for some people to compile old
pieces of software. If there's no such interest, then I have no
problems dropping it.

PS Searches I used:

http://www.google.com/codesearch#search/&q=%22Makefile.in%20generated%20automatically%20by%20automake%22%20-1.2%20-1.3%20-1.5%20file:Makefile.in&type=cs
http://www.google.com/codesearch#search/&q=%22Makefile.in%20generated%20by%20automake%22%20file:Makefile.in&type=cs