Re: Move all to /usr

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 04:32:46PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> I am still not 100% persuaded that this would be easy to do, but at
> least I think that it has more merit than the old "move all to /"...
>
> How much complex would it be to implement this in Debian?

I have a better question: what would it buy us?

"Provide a simple way of mounting almost the entire system read-only and
share it between multiple hosts to save maintenance and space," is what
that wiki page says, but I'm not convinced. In theory, you can already
share /usr between multiple systems today; but nobody does it, because
- Keeping your software on a central fileserver introduces a single
  point of failure that you don't have if you don't do the central
  fileserver thing
- Moving more off / and into /usr does not free you of the need to
  synchronize stuff across your systems (you have less to synchronize if
  you only need to do /etc, but that's actually the hardest part to
  synchronize)
- Frankly, in today's world, the amount of storage you need for your
  software often pales in comparison to the amount of storage you need
  for your data. I've rarely had to maintain a network of more than just
  a few systems that had more than 10G worth of software locally
  installed. When was the last time you bought a 10G hard disk? If
  you're still having / be on local disk, you're still going to need a
  local hard disk. Let's say you can still find a 146G SAS disk
  somewhere -- that leaves you with 136G of wasted space anyway.

There are two ways of running a network of similar or identical
computers: either you use a configuration management system such as
puppet or chef or whatnot and make sure they are all kept in sync (which
is a bit of a fiddly set-up, but works very well for some things), or
you run them all diskless, and boot them off the same image on the
network (which is also a bit of a fiddly set-up, but works very well for
a different set of things). This proposition requires one to do /both/
of those fiddly set-ups, for no additional benefit.

I think it's a bad idea.

the following formula:

pi zz a