Re: Move all to /usr

On 2011-10-11, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> I especially dislike moving /sbin/ and /usr/sbin/ to /usr/bin/.
> That's namespace pollution, you don't want to have executables you can't run
> due to them being root-only in your $PATH.

You could skip executables that you cannot run in tab completion and actual
lookups.  And indeed that's what the shells do.  But it turns out that
everything in /sbin is actually executable for !root.  And then you have
tools like ifconfig in /sbin or exigrep and visudo in /usr/sbin, which are
useful outside of the root context.  So I actually put */sbin into my PATH
anyway.

(Yes, some of them might be bugs.  Some of them might not be easily movable
without compatibility symlinks.  But my original argument of them being
actually executable still stands, I think.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern