Re: combined dependencies?

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:31:11PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
The semantics are pretty obvious to me, it's the number of corner cases and
complexity that this brings what stops dpkg/apt/aptitude/100-other-tools
maintainers from implementing that.

What is the use case for this?

(If I missed in the thread so far, my apologies. A reply with the
Message-ID or URL would be appreciated.)

there are already developers working on packaging problems that already need being solved. infact in my spare time I am looking at one aspect

this is a nice discussion, basic logic from a text book - freshman work, yet i somehow feel it's impertinent: these things are easier said than done, you haven't made no impact statement, you've not posted any patch to (dpkg, apt, aptitutde, etc). there are other problems too.

i suggest two things:

1) not starting from the standpoint that someone else is specifying and completing your project for you in a deficit economy.

2) assuming if you spend allot of time making what already has problems needing solved (dpkg) more complicated you need OPM (other people's money) to do so, so to speak

3) remember that dependancies evolve from involuntary compile and install conflicts. what I'm saying is that software is supposed to install and uninstall in Debian without conflicting with other software or causing problems

4) remember that installed software CAN ALREADY EXECUSTE "dpkg -i $x" so you dont' need an automated system to do so for that reason

the software I'm writing maybe could do what you asked when finished however i wouldn't suggest using it that way