Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

On 15/08/11 at 19:41 +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Lars Wirzenius (liw@liw.fi) [110815 19:36]:
> >      584    163     134     file sizes (MiB)
>
> Thanks for comparing these numbers. That tells me that at least in the
> average case we just can continue with gz, and not care much about the
> relativly small difference to xz.

I wouldn't call -20% a relatively small difference.

The question is: are there downsides to switching to xz for
/usr/share/doc?

For example, in the past, some PDF readers could not directly open
.pdf.gz files, so one had to uncompress the file manually first, which
was pretty annoying.  I just checked, and evince, okular and xpdf can
open .pdf.xz files. But maybe other tools have similar issues.

- Lucas