Re: use flags? (was: Re: Introducing Build-Recommends / Build-Core-Depends?)

Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

>If we accept the idea there's now more than one way to build the
>package, I would like us do not limit the number of ways to '2' but
>rather extend the prospoal to set up something similar to Gentoo's USE
>flags. The advantages of that idea:
>
>- porters/buildds/local administrators will have the greater flexibility
>  to choose what the want to (re)build;
>- for the architecture bootstrap this could be used for packages that
>  need to be rebuilt more than once with growing set of features
>  build-by-build (don't know if such packages exist).
>
>The disadvantage is obvious: harder to implement.
>
>I imagine it to look something like:
>
>Source: fbreader
>Build-Depends-Core: debhelper (>= 7), libbz2-dev
>Build-Depends-Qt3: libqt3-mt-dev
>Build-Depends-Qt4: libqt4-dev
>Build-Depends-Gtk2: libgtk2.0-dev
>
>Like in the original proposal, sets of build-depends are to be chosen by
>DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, for example DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=use=gtk2,qt4. In
>absence of 'use' flag (i.e. by default), all 'optional' packages are
>built. And like in the original proposal, there's a header in the
>resulting .changes (and possibly in something else) which determines what
>was the value of the 'use' flag when building, like
>
>Built-With: gtk2,qt4.
>
>For the compatibility, dpkg-genchanges would combine all Build-Depends-*
>to a single Build-Depends.

I can see this turning into a large mess. What's the benefit for
Debian for all the extra work here? If you want massively differing
builds on every machine, Gentoo exists already...

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead