Re: The archive now supports xz compression

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 09:19:02PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > The gain is especially meaningful for slower architectures, as they tend to
> > > have less disk space and slower network links (arm tends to be used in
> > > phones).  No extra memory is needed -- decompression is not done in parallel
> > > with memory-hungry stages of dpkg's work.  The decompression, merely 2.5
> > > times slower than with gzip, is a tiny fraction of what dpkg takes.
> >
> > It takes a lot longer to compress on slower architectures (i.e. on the
> > buildds), though.  You could've built a whole package in that time.  (Resorting
> > to your style of argument.)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to get more buildds for those archs, then?
> That would be a totally appropriate use of Debian money...

Possibly a stupid question here but: Given that we are now autosigning
builds, why can't the slower arches use gzip, and then after upload
they could be recompressed with xz (and resigned) on a faster arch?
This would allow xz compression on all arches, but not require slow
arches to actually do the xz compression themselves.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh