Re: Fwd: Re: BLAST+ speed & build issues

Olivier,

Because "-h is slow" hardly seems like a good justification for having
static packages.  Last I checked (which wasn't long ago..), BLAST is
typically a long-running process (at least on the stuff we're doing..).
Also, are subsequent calls (even '-h' ones) faster?  I'd expect them to
be, once everything is cache'd, which would reduce the justification
that much further..

No, having the database stay in memory and being able to query against
it rather than having to start up blast every time (ala FastCGI or
something like you'd do for a webserver) might be a way to kill two
birds w/ one stone, as it was, but that'd be a fair bit of work, I
expect.

	Thanks,

		Stephen