Re: Minimal init [was: A few observations about systemd]

Marc Haber writes ("Re: Minimal init [was: A few observations about systemd]"):
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:55:58 +0100, Ian Jackson
> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >No, I don't think so.  If these external tools double fork then they
> >are just wrong.
>
> Double Forking has been the right way to do it for decades. Demanding
> >from  upstreams that they change their software this fundamentally to
> cater for a new init system is as unrealistic as demanding from
> upstreams to stay around snooping for new IP addresses that came
> online after the daemon was started to cater for IPv6.

However it is very easy to patch daemons to have an option which
causes them not to fork.  Most daemons /already/ have a mode in which
they don't fork, for debugging purposes.

I think we should be quite happy to carry those patches forever, for
the few upstreams who won't take them.

Ian.