Re: UDD access from Alioth(s children) (Was: Alioth status update, take 3)

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:03:25PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >  Thanks. Some findings about this: Formerly a plain "service=udd" was
> > working as convenience. Is it planned to put the pg_service.conf into
> > place again? That way the backend connection could be transparently
> > switched (though, my guess would be that the tunnel is there for the
> > same purpose)
>
> I've restored the pg_service config now.

Thanks.

> >  Also, it is working on wagner, but not on vasks. As I understood it
> > this is intentional. On the other hand, the public_html sites are hosted
> > on vasks, not on wagner, so services that would want to query UDD and
> > offer results are out of scope in the new alioth setup.

That's also very annoying for the Blends pages.

> [ lot more good reasons snipped ]
>
> <alioth admin hat>
> I have to say that I'm not very happy about general purpose hosting on
> the 'alioth' servers.  While I agree QA work is useful and should be
> encouraged rather than discouraged, I don't know if alioth is the place
> for development work of this sort.
> </alioth admin hat>

Regarding the Blends pages:  I have set up blends.debian.net which is
running a clone of UDD and the development of the pages is happening
there.  So the code which is rolled out at Alioth (and successors) is
tested.  I'm just using blends.alioth.d.o as the official address
because I'm trusting DSA for providing a reliable service which I can
not guarantee for blends.d.n.  I'm not using alioth as development
playground.

> <dsa hat>
> qa.d.o has a dedicated machine, udd has a dedicated machine, and I'm
> sure it would be straight forward enough to set up a playpen on one
> or the other of those machines for DDs who want to do QA tasks without
> formally joining the QA team (just a gid debian writable subdirectory
> of the web root where users could create their own spaces would probably
> be sufficient?).   This is just musing off the top of my head - I don't
> speak for the QA team or lucas about access to these services - the
> machines are open to all DDs, however, so I don't see any compelling
> issues to be resolved off hand.
> </dsa hat>

As far as I understood the main concern of Gerfried was that UDD access
is possible on the "wrong" machine.  In my case it is the problem that I
can perfectly generate the Blends pages on wagner I need to sync them
afterwards to vasks.  While in my case this is possible for those static
pages it is just not straightforeward and I would love to understand the
motivation behind the constraint nont to enable UDD access on vasks.  (I
actually do not understand what is the sense of having UDD access on
wagner - I would see *only* a need on vasks.)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de