VCS UI and development workflow (was: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches)

"Andrew O. Shadoura" <bugzilla@tut.by> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:21:26 +0200
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> > Do you really doubt that Darcs’s general user interface is more
> > intuitive than others (especially compared to git)? Darcs might have
> > its shortcomings, but its UI is always pointed out as a plus
>
> Well, I really dislike git's interface, but darcs appears to be
> completely counter-intuitive to me. Possibly, I have used it too
> little, or I'm used to Mercurial too much, don't know.

When people talk about how much they like the Darcs UI, and I ask for
details, the benefit they unfailingly point out (I would love to know of
other UI benefits if they exist) is the ‘darcs record’ UI.

That was indeed a big advantage when none of the major DVCSen had
anything like it. But now all of them do, in one form or another.

I find the idea of commiting *parts* of one's working tree files, such
that the commit will result in a working tree state that never existed
on your filesystem (and therefore one that you cannot have tested) is a
huge step back toward the bad old days of Subversion and/or CVS.

I much prefer the “shelve” style: temporarily put selected hunks aside
by choosing them interactively, and get the working tree in a state
that's ready to be tested and committed. After that, bring all the
shelved changes back and continue hacking.

--
 \      “Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker 40 or |
  `\     50 years ago: You can choose not to smoke, yourself, but it's |