Re: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches

Le dimanche 29 mai 2011 à 10:53 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> b/ modify dpkg-source --before-build to keep a trace of the fact that
>    it applied the patches (for example by creating
>    .pc/dpkg-source-auto-applied) and in that case have dpkg-source
>    --after-build unapply the patches so that we're back to a clean
>    state after a succesful build.
>    If the build fails, we'd keep the patches applied.
>
> My preference goes to b/ because it doesn't require changes for people
> who like to keep the patches applied in their VCS too. And it's the
> principle of least surprise, you keep the same state afer a build than
> you had before the build (so it's still ok for people who rely
> on the scenario unpack/hack/rebuild).

I’m not fond of the idea of having dpkg behave differently based on the
presence of a VCS. This should be orthogonal, especially given that
people have different usage patterns for their VCS.

Hence b/ looks much more reasonable.

> But it still happens that those patches are generated[1] when the maintainer
> did not expect any change at all. That's why we added the option
> --abort-on-upstream-changes for maintainers who never wants dpkg-source
> to auto-create a patch.
>
> I wonder if I should not make this option the default

Yes please.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :