Re: Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 in wheezy as default?

On Mon, 09 May 2011, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 17:33, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > i currently wonder if Debian should implement RFC 4941 as default for
> > wheezy.
> [...]
> > I would like to hear other developers meanings to this issue, before
> > proposing this as release goal for wheezy.
>
> RFC 4941 is a problem if you want to use to use IPv6 and proxy NDP,
> at least until the kernel allow to proxy a network instead of hosts.
> This does not seem for now:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=130385156131530&w=2
>

> Note: proxy NDP is required when your provider gives you a flat /64
> (ie its router is in your /64, generally prefix::1 and it tries to talk
> directly to any host of your /64 network)
> and you want to have subnetworks (one for wifi, one for your DMZ, ...)

We've been trying to avoid that kind of bad practice here in Brazil,
through an effort to get ISPs to undertand you do NOT issue /64 to
clients in the various NANOG-like (locally called "GTER") encounters
throughout the year.

It is an uphill battle.  Time for an informational RFC, perhaps?  It
does help to point people at a RFC, where all technical arguments are
fully written down and explained.

  Henrique Holschuh