Re: [RFC] Changing APT to pre-depend on ${shlibs:Depends}

On 2011-04-27 20:14, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > First, this statement is not true because other package managers exist.
>
> You mean, one could manually hunt down and locate a .deb file, wget then
> feed it to dpkg?

Well, yes, one can. I did it once in the past.

But the point was there are other high-level package managers - I know
'cupt' and 'smartpm'.

> Perhaps the non-apt code paths in dselect have not
> bitrotted yet to have a modicum of usability left, but then, you won't find
> dselect on any sane system installed this millenium, and to install dselect
> to do recovery, you'd need to... right, have usable apt or hunt down .deb
> files by hand.

Assumptions 'sane' and 'installed this millenium' are not technical
arguments.

> If an upgrade fails for any reason, including a power failure, you won't be
> able to restart apt to let it finish it.

As you and me pointed already, there are other (hard or easy) ways and
tools to fix the system. APT is not Essential, a system can live without
it.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer