Re: /run support for wheezy?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:32:51PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> >
> > > ]] Julien Cristau

> > > Incidentially, I just sent a mail proposing this as a release goal.

> > > It's a bit of an abuse of the /lib namespace.  It also outlines a plan
> > > for how to get rid of /var/run and /var/lock long-term, something I
> > > don't believe /lib/init/rw ever tried to.  It was just somewhere to
> > > stuff random early data.
> >
> > What subdirs will we have then?
> >
> > /run/run  (formerly /var/run)
> > /run/init (formerly /lib/init/rw)
> > /run/lock (formerly /var/lock)
> >
> > or will one of the formerlies become the /run and the other subdirs. or
> > will /var/run and /lib/init/rw be merged into just /run and /run/lock
> > for locks?
>
> I've filed a bug (#620191) against initscripts containing a proposed
> patch for this.
>
> /var/run (→ /run)
> /var/lock (→ /run/lock)
> /lib/init/rw (→ /run/init)

OK, an update on progress implementing /run:

Patches filed against base-files and initscripts in #620157 and #620191.
Test packages here: http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/
  (tested in an amd64 kvm VM; it shouldn't toast your system by
  making it unbootable, but YMMV; test with caution.)

There's a couple of outstanding issues which I could use some help
with:

1) /etc/init.d/mountall.sh is broken for some reason.  The "mount -a"
   invocation fails.  Not because it fails to mount, but it returns a
   32 exit status because / and /proc are already mounted.

   Possibly a result of the mtab.sh domtab() changes; but it should be
   behaving identically to the old version, so possibly unrelated.
   Possibly already broken and I've just exposed a bug?

2) Despite only mounting /run once, I'm seeing /run and /run/lock mounted
   *again* looking at /proc/mounts.  Unsure why this happens, or if it's
   just artifactual.  /run, /run/lock and /run/init are all correctly
   visible, but this is a tad strange.

I would also appreciate any testing, especially if you're using a
nonstandard setup e.g. tmpfs on /var/run and/or /var/lock.  This should
be catered for.  Testing on kfreebsd would also be welcome, since the
mtab changes were done to make bind mounting work for it.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh