Re: RFC: bringing back task packages

Le Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:20:30PM -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :

> ### blends
>
> I think there is interest in getting some blends displayed in Taskel?
> It's mostly orthagonal to this proposal, but this would help with
> giving you full control over what your tasks do. I do feel that blends
> need to be listed below the other tasks in tasksel, and probably with
> a divider between them. Also, we have been careful to only have ten
> tasks, to avoid overloading the user; and there is a limit to the length
> of the list before it begins scrolling, so the d-i team would have to
> look at the UI before adding Blends to the interface.

Dear Joey,

it would be very exciting to have the possibility to select a blend at the
installation. To circumvent the limitation of space, how about having a single
line to select ‘Chose a Debian Pure Blend‘, that would lead to a page that
provides the full list of blends ?

> ### i18n
>
> There are many language tasks in tasksel. It might be good to have
> the task packages be moved out of tasksel; I don't know if it'd make
> sense to have individual language teams maintain them, or what.

On the other hand, I would warmly welcome an i18n task that reproduces the user
experience on Macintoshes, where a standard system contains everything to read
and write a large number of languages. Currently with Debian, on fresh
installs, I have to iterate over the missing fonts for Japanese and other Asian
languanges, and look back on my old notes to figure out what packages will
provide me an input system for chinese characters, because I select French or
English at install time.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy