Re: Bits from the Security Team (for those that care about bits)

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:32:07PM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> * README.test
>
> Although many packages include a test suite that is run after package build,
> there are packages that do not have such a suite, or not one that can be
> run as part of the build process. It was proposed to standardise on a
> README.test file, analogous to README.source, describing to others than the
> regular maintainer how the package's functionality can properly be tested.
> This is something we would like to see discussed and implemented for the
> Wheezy development cycle.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to have this be part of README.source? That
was always meant as a document for human consumption, to help the casual
maintainer or NMU'er understand how the package works, and help them be
able to work on it. Since 'testing the result' is very much part of
'working on a package,' I believe it belongs there; and such a
description would certainly fall under the "debian/README.source may
also include any other information that would be helpful to someone
modifying the source package" sentence in the final paragraph

If people aren't doing this, then perhaps a minor policy amendment to
add 'test suite usage' as one of the examples in that final paragraph
could make sense. OTOH, explicitly adding more and more examples when
that part of policy already explicitly mentions that you can put 'any
other information that would be helpful' in there could be confusing.

Regards,

trying to fool the system.