Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

On 17.01.2011 20:54, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> OK, sounds kind of reasonable.  Except that I think I have to remove
> pm-utils then.... I just cannot accept that the hibernate/resume process
> becomes as bloated as a full shutdown/reboot.

That sounds like the wrong way around. If you don't want unattended-upgrades to
run on suspend/hibernate, then uninstall the unattended upgrades package or read
the pm-suspend man page how to disable the unattend-upgrades hook
(hint: rm /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate , it's a conffile, so
dpkg will preserve the removal of this file).

Also; You said, the hook breaks suspend/hibernate. I don't agree this is the
case. If there is no upgrade running, the hook will exit immediately.
If there is an upgrade running, the hook simply blocks until the upgrade has
finished. Suspend/Hibernate is still not 100% reliable, so this is probably a
safe choice.

There is indeed a problem though, that pm-utils has no API for long running jobs
and communicating that pack to the caller (in most cases gnome-power-manager)

But again, if you don't like the hook, disable it.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?