How to build a 32-bit package in Debian?

Hi,

I've recently adopted a package (nyquist) that only builds in 32-bit
mode.  I'm struggling with supporting it on amd64 and other 64-bit
architectures in Debian.

First: yes, clearly the code should be migrated to 64-bits.  Upstream
is aware of that and it's a nontrivial effort.  I'm interested in
supporting the package as it exists today.

The solution adopted at present is that upstream packages 3 required
libraries (libsndfile, liblo, and portaudio) which are all built in
32-bit mode.  This generates a working binary, but is sub-optimal for
all the usual reasons: we don't benefit from fixes and upgrades.  I'd
like to link to the Debian-provided libsndfile, but of course it is
64-bit on my amd64 machine and the link fails.

What is the recommended course of action for such a package?

I just learned about the ia32-libs package.  It doesn't contain
the libraries I need (yet) but I imagine it may be possible to
add them.  Is there an equivalent package for other 64-bit
architectures?

Thanks,
-Steve